Tuesday, February 15, 2011

3.2.1 Summary

 3 THINGS I LEARNED
  1. The working conditions were horrible. People were constantly dirty and they had to work terribly long hours. Even small children had to slave over factory machines, often time causing them physical problems later in life.
  2. I did not know what communism actually was, though I had heard of it many times. Now I know that communism is the system where everything is equal and there is no such thing as private property.
  3. Capitalism is the system in which businesses are owned privately and the government should not regulate them. America is a capitalist society.


2 THINGS I FOUND INTERESTING
  1. I thought it was interesting that Karl Marx's Communist Manifesto was never really acknowledged by anyone early on. Years after though it started to become more and more popular. Now it is considered one of the most important pieces ever written.
  2. Workers would demand higher pay and better working conditions and if they did not get what they wanted, they would strike. When skilled workers would do this, the owners would often have to give in because it was hard for them to find someone to replace them.



1 QUESTION I STILL HAVE
  1. If the working conditions were so bad for children, they hated to work, and it was physically painful for them, why would they just not work?

No comments:

Post a Comment